Among the variety of spices, parsley is the most commonly used in the country's salads.
One of the notable species of this plant is curly parsley, known for its rich chemical composition.
- Curly parsley, description and photo
- Useful properties of the plant, what it contains
- When to sow parsley, in spring or fall
- Basic tips for growing
- Curly parsley is banned in Russia, is it true, for what reasons
Curly parsley, description and photo
Curly parsley is a one to two year old member of the umbrella family.
In the natural environment, it is found on the Mediterranean coast, it was used in cooking and medicine only in the ninth century.
The characteristic features of the plant include:
- Reaches 30-100 cm in height;
- The stem is erect and branched;
- The foliage is triangular, double-pinnate. Above - shiny and dark green;
- Taproot, cylindrical, juicy and fleshy enough;
- It blooms with green-yellow flowers in early to mid-summer;
- The fruits are ovoid in shape.
This greenery has long and firmly entered the history of cooking, as a popular herb. It is used both fresh and dried.
Useful properties of the plant, what it contains
In addition to the characteristic taste and aroma that cooks love so much, parsley is also distinguished by a large number of useful elements that are included in the composition.
- Vitamin C - it is noteworthy that only a third of a glass of green leaves will add as much vitamin as one orange;
- Vitamin K is an important element that stabilizes blood clotting and bone health;
- Beta-carotene - increases the level of defense of the immune system;
- Boron - a mineral that stops the development of osteoporosis, especially important in the fight against the approaching menopause;
- Iron - even more than red meat;
- Potassium is an important substance for normal muscle function and metabolic stabilization;
- Calcium is essential for bone health. So a cup of parsley contains as much calcium as a glass of milk. In addition, the available vitamin C improves the absorption of calcium;
- Fiber - important for the normal functioning of the body;
- Fluoride is one of the elements important for strengthening bones.
A large number of nutrients provide an antiseptic effect. That is why greens can fight viral and bacterial diseases.
Let's watch a video about the beneficial properties of curly parsley:
When to sow parsley, in spring or fall
This question is of interest to many gardeners who want to know under which option the harvest will be greater.
The benefits of a spring planting include:
- The possibility of sowing seeds in open ground without a seedling stage;
- Significantly fewer diseases of spring seedlings;
- Less need for fertilizing;
- The young spice germinates and develops quickly.
Autumn planting also has its advantages, although there are fewer of them than spring planting. So it is recommended to plant in advance in the soil prepared from the summer, fertilized with tof and compost.
It is also important to study the information on the package, some varieties cannot be sown before autumn.
Planting in autumn gives you the opportunity to get earlier shoots and enjoy the greenery. At the same time, autumn planting requires special attention so that the seedlings do not freeze out at the first cold snap.
Let's watch a video about planting parsley and caring for the plant:
Basic tips for growing
Despite the fact that the plant is quite resistant, it still needs a thoroughly loosened soil, which ensures the normal development of the root.
In addition, it is important to pay attention to such nuances:
- Seeds can be planted immediately in prepared soil;
- It is important to fertilize the soil with a large amount of nitrogen, phosphorus to feed the roots and potassium, as a shield against diseases;
- If planting is carried out not by seeds, but by seedlings, it is recommended to wait for the formation of the second true leaves. Before planting, be sure to water the seedlings well;
- After the soil is soaked, using a small spatula, carefully remove the seedlings along with the earthy clod;
- When planting, it is important not to damage the roots. The distance between seedlings should be at least 20 cm;
- After planting, water the seedlings, while keeping moisture out of the foliage.
Caring for parsley is not difficult, it is enough to periodically water the greens and monitor whether traces of diseases appear. If sick or damaged leaves are found, they must be cut off immediately so that the pathology does not move further.
Curly parsley is banned in Russia, is it true, for what reasons
According to official data, since 2011, curly parsley is really ranked among the group of plants containing poisonous and potent psychotropic substances. However, you should not rush to immediately run to dig out the seedlings for fear of being fined for growing drugs.
Parsley fell into this group because of the properties of its seeds, from which a specific essential oil can be obtained. In the composition of this oil, narcotic substances were found.
That is why curly parsley was included in the list of narcotic plants.
However, at the moment there is no official ban on the cultivation of parsley. Nobody is going to hunt for lovers of spicy herbs, so you can safely grow it in the country and beyond.
Punishment awaits only those gardeners who grow parsley not for the sake of greenery. For the sale of seeds in large quantities, it is quite possible to get to places that are not so distant.
Curly parsley is a fairly well-known herb used in medicine and cooking. Differs in a large number of nutrients and is unpretentious in cultivation.