We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Radish is one of the first vegetable crops that provides vitamins and essential substances to the body depleted after winter. How is radish planting carried out in spring?
- In what season to plant, how to choose the soil and prepare for planting?
- Watering and temperature conditions
- What should be the care immediately after planting?
- Growing and grooming activities
In what season to plant, how to choose the soil and prepare for planting?
It should be understood that the development of radish occurs better during a short daylight period. This must be taken into account when choosing sowing dates. The formation of a good fruit is also influenced by humidity, temperature conditions, and top dressing. Therefore, it is worth paying a little attention to the radish, then it will thank you with an excellent harvest. To do this, it is enough to adhere to the simplest rules.
There are early varieties. If you grow them, then you can enjoy the first fruits 4 weeks after the shoots appear. For this reason, it is recommended to start preparing the beds when it starts to warm. Radish can withstand the cold, it is not even afraid of frost at night.
Often, experienced gardeners are engaged in planting in late March or early April, when the weather is already warm enough, and the soil has already warmed up. But it is worth choosing the timing of planting, given the temperature regime. Namely:
- Shoots will not appear for a long time if the temperature does not rise above +10 degrees.
- It will take 7 days for seedlings to appear if the indicators have increased to +15.
- The sprouts will be visible on the fourth day if the temperature is around +20 degrees.
The best temperature for radish to form well is considered to be +20 degrees. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to the weather conditions. When they become favorable for planting, then it is necessary to sow the seeds. Initially, you need to decide on the place where the plant will be grown. Radish prefers fertile soil.
Feeding with organic fertilizers has a beneficial effect on the development of root crops. At the same time, it is better to prepare the territory in the autumn period. At this time, it is necessary to add humus, manure and dig up the soil. For radishes, neutral acidity is ideal. But it can also develop on slightly acidic soil.
When a landing site has been chosen, it is worth paying attention to whether it is normally illuminated by the sun. After all, radish prefers well-lit areas.
Make sure the soil is loose. Otherwise, the radish will shoot. This is also influenced by excessively high temperatures or insufficient watering. It is recommended to initially sort the seed by size. This will allow you to get friendly shoots. A sprout with larger seeds will appear earlier. After sorting, it is necessary to place the planting material in the water.
When miniature sprouts appear, then sowing can begin. There should be about 15 cm between each row, and 6 cm between the plants. Where the seedlings first appear, there the plants will be grown. It is not necessary to deepen the seeds into the ground. For this, 0.5 cm is enough. If everything is done correctly, shoots will appear soon.
Watering and temperature conditions
Video about growing radish:
Radish is a plant that needs regular watering. If the soil is moist, then the fruit will grow juicy and large. For this reason, it is necessary to fill the grooves with water during sowing. In the future, also do not forget about the plant and water it regularly.
Naturally, you do not need to overdo it, as stagnant water will negatively affect the radishes. It will lead to the fact that the roots begin to rot, and over time they will die. Experienced gardeners advise to water the radish, which was planted in March, with warm water. It is especially useful to do an evening shower, which will help protect the plants during the night temperature drop, as the heat will be retained.
What should be the care immediately after planting?
Radish does not need anxious care, so even a beginner can grow it. As soon as it has been planted, it is worth adhering to these basic rules of care:
- The plant needs to be watered regularly and moderately. This is especially important when it is not raining. Root vegetables will not taste good without proper moisture.
- Do not overdo it with watering. Too much moisture can cause the fruit to rot or crack.
- As soon as shoots begin to be seen, it is worth adding potash fertilizers to the soil. They are sold in specialty stores. But beginners are advised to read the instructions first and then use fertilizers carefully. An excess can also be detrimental to root crops.
Growing and grooming activities
Radish needs to adhere to the elements of the rules regarding care. The most basic ones are:
- When about five days have passed after the seedlings have emerged, it is necessary to thin out the rows.
- As soon as the plant has been watered, it is necessary to loosen the soil. This is a mandatory procedure after each watering.
- In the future, experienced gardeners apply nitrogen fertilizers to the soil.
- A variety of pests can attack the plant, so it is worth taking all measures to combat them. For this, the treatment of the territory with ash or dust from cigarettes is well suited.
You can harvest selectively. Initially, those roots that have formed are pulled out, and then all the rest. The crop that was collected in the autumn can be stored in the cellar for a long period. So, radish is a delicious and healthy vegetable. But not everyone succeeds in harvesting a good and high-quality crop. To do this, you should know some rules regarding planting and care.